Tuesday, October 03, 2023
Log in or create a new MyGrange account
Keyword / Search: 


Around The Grange
Reports of significant damage to Ag buildings across CT

By CT Department of Agriculture (2/9/11)

  FEBRUARY 13, 2011 --

The Connecticut Department of Agriculture has received reports of significant damage to agricultural buildings across the state as a result of recent snowstorms and excessive snow loads. As of February 9th, the agency has received word that over 300 agricultural structures on 99 farms have either totally or partially collapsed. The department continues to tally losses to buildings, equipment, and supplies, as well as the significant loss of livestock resulting from building collapses.

USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) may have programs available to assist those who have experienced agricultural losses. It is very important that everyone who has experienced a loss due to the weather this winter report their loss to FSA within 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent to the producer. Losses can include buildings, equipment, stored feed, livestock, seed, fertilizer, started plants, inventory, etc. With regard to livestock, FSA will require documentation such as ownership documentation, normal mortality rates, and the number and kind of livestock lost as a direct result of these winter storms. Producers should track all costs including relocation, transporting feed, disposal, etc.

Fact sheets can be found on FSA’s website, http://www.fsa.usda.gov. Click on Newsroom then Fact Sheets.

In addition to FSA’s requirements, the Connecticut Department of Agriculture is also tallying agricultural losses as part of the state’s overall effort to account all agricultural losses associated with this winter’s storms. This information is being provided to Governor Dannel P. Malloy in an effort to support requests for possible federal assistance. In addition to reporting your loss to FSA, you can help the agency’s efforts by also reporting your agricultural loss to the Connecticut Department of Agriculture. To report your agricultural loss, please contact the commissioner’s office at (860) 713-2500.

FSA can be contacted at the phone numbers below:

Connecticut State FSA Office

344 Merrow Road, Suite B
Tolland, CT 06084-3917
Telephone: (860) 871-4090
(860) 871-4099 (FAX)
Marsha B. Jetté – State Executive Director

Hartford-Tolland County FSA Office
100 Northfield Drive, FL 4
Windsor, CT 06095-4730
Telephone: 860-688-7725
860-688-0083 (FAX)
Ross E. Eddy – County Executive Director

Litchfield-Fairfield County FSA Office
1185 New Litchfield Street
Torrington, CT 06790-6098
Telephone: (860) 626-8852
(860) 626-8850 (FAX)
Howard E. Rood – County Executive Director

New Haven-Middlesex County FSA Office
97 Barnes Road
Wallingford, CT 06492-1900
Telephone: (203) 269-6665
(203) 294-9741 (FAX)
Nancy H. Welsh – County Executive Director

New London County FSA Office
238 West Town Street
Norwich, CT 06360-6599
Telephone: (860) 887-9941
(860) 887-4082 (FAX)
Ann Marie McCard – County Executive Director

Windham County FSA Office
139 Wolf Den Road
Brooklyn, CT 06234-1729
Telephone: (860) 774-8397
(860) 779-0148 (FAX)
Dawn S. Pindell – County Executive Director 


© 2023 The Connecticut State Grange. All Rights Reserved.