Saturday, September 23, 2023
Log in or create a new MyGrange account
Keyword / Search: 


Legislatively Speaking
Legislatively Speaking: Resolutions Are Still Needed

By Alma Graham, CT State Grange Legislative Director

  July 1, 2020 --

Now that State of Connecticut businesses are slowly reopening after our shutdown due to the virus, Granges are able to start with some meetings and limited activities. As we are reopening, Granges should be starting to discuss any resolutions that they wish to send to State Grange. This will be an unusual State Grange session that will be limiting the number of session days   and   attendees.   It   will be very important to get your resolutions in early. As of this time, I believe that the delegates of the session’s committees will be given the resolutions before State Grange session convenes. This will allow time for the committee members to review and discuss resolutions assigned to their sessions committee before the State Grange session.

Remember, all  resolutions that you plan on sending to State Grange need  to  be  presented and voted on at your community Granges before being sent to State Grange. We usually ask that all resolutions also be passed to your Pomona Grange before being sent to State.  I feel that this rule should be relaxed this year to speed up the process so Granges can send them directly to State. The deadline for submitting resolutions is still September 15h and all resolutions should be sent to the State Secretary.

Resolutions need to be written in a specific way with three sections. You need to start with a title. This should be relevant to the subject matter of the resolution.

The second set of sections are the WHEREAS sections.  This is where you list concerns and details educating the readers about the topic you are writing about. The third section is the THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED

sections. This is where you state what actions you wish to happen. This section should be able to stand alone when the WHEREAS sections are removed. It needs to state the topic of concern and the recommended actions. If it is a national issue and you wish it to go to National Grange state that in one of the resolved sections. At the end of the resolution note the Grange name that is submitting the resolution using “Submitted by: name of Grange”.

If you need any help with your resolutions, you can contact any member of the Legislative Committee. There is also information on how to write a resolution on the Grange Website, www.ctstategrange.org . Look under Grange Information

State Grange Information How to Write a Resolution. (http://www.ctstategrange.org/HowtoWriteResolution.asp )



© 2023 The Connecticut State Grange. All Rights Reserved.